First Sunday of September
7th September 2014
This race covers the 82 miles of the Essex way from Epping Station to Harwich Old Lighthouse in 10 stages. The route is mostly cross country and can be difficult through crops and across ploughed fields. Nevertheless it is a very enjoyable day out in the most attractive rural parts of Essex (with an excellent fish and chip shop and pubs waiting for you at Harwich). The course is NOT marked and it is essential for all competitors to have reconnoitred their section before the day to avoid getting lost.
Fergie, Derek and other Nomads were heavily involved in 'testing' the draft Essex Way trail instructions before final versions were written up. Since that time many Clubs and individuals have contributed to checking the Stages for changes to ensure the descriptions are as up to date as possible. These are available below as a complete set (21 pages) in either pdf or Word for Windows format or individually in pdf format for downloading and printing.
The Essex Way guidebook is available for free download above or from Essex County Council public rights of way section (pdf 10mb). This gives points of interest & historical information about places passed along the route. For those looking to undertake the route under their own steam this accomodation guide & distance chart (pdf) may be useful.
The 'spirit' of the race is low-key, friendly and cooperative, all competitors should try to support other runners and call them back if they are going off-route and all supporters should assist members of other teams if necessary. If this ethos appeals to you and you would like to enter a team then check back here frequently for information on this years event.
Note the new design waymark shown on the left above. The poppy is the county flower of Essex and the new waymark is brighter and more visible from a distance than the old one.
- Complete route in 10 stages pdf
- Stage 1 Epping Station to Chipping Ongar (pdf) - Maps a b c
- Stage 2 Chipping Ongar to Good Easter (pdf) - Maps a b c d e f
- Stage 3 Good Easter to Little Leighs (pdf) - Maps a b c d e
- Stage 4 Little Leighs to Cressing Church (pdf) - Maps a b c d e
- Stage 5 Cressing Church to Great Tey (pdf) - Maps a b c d
- Stage 6 Great Tey to West Bergholt (pdf) - Maps a b
- Stage 7 West Bergholt to Dedham (pdf) - Maps a b c d e f
- Stage 8 Dedham to Bradfield (pdf) - Maps a b c
- Stage 9 Bradfield to Ramsey (pdf) - Maps a b c
- Stage 10 Ramsey to Harwich (pdf) - Maps a b c