Essex Way Logo

Essex Way Relay Forum

Discussion on the Essex Way Relay

You are not logged in.

#1 06-09-2009 22:19:43

Robert Teer

Marshalling Feedback

We were impressed by the almost 100% co-operation from runners towards our marshals on Sunday. Only blips were: two runners in the top 10 of the field crossing almost immediately after reaching the road exiting the RSPB sanctuary (4+ miles) despite having just been told by the marshal to stay left + cones and arrows on the road - at least they crossed back swiftly when called to. Then a lady in the middle order (Harwich again, I'm afraid) ran all the way on the right hand side to, and round, the dangerous blind corner into traffic. I called to her: "You're on the wrong side of the road" and got the reply, "No, you are!". I did inform her that she must be tired of living...  Seriously, running on a blind corner into traffic shows hardly Mensa potential!  Well done the overwhelmingly co-operative majority.  We all appreciated the many runners who bothered to thank the marshals.

#2 16-09-2009 13:22:03

Claire Bransby

Re: Marshalling Feedback

I would like to respond to Robert's comment above.  I am the said Harwich lady runner on this leg that you refer to and I would like to say firstly, that I appreciated the help and support of the marshalls on the leg and I really enjoyed the run.  In my defence though, where you say 'having been told by the marshal to stay left...' the only word that I heard the lady marshall say when I approached the road was 'left' and when I came out onto the road and saw the cones, I presumed she wanted me to stay left of the cones, which I did.  Having ran down that stretch of road many times on both sides of the road due to the varied bends, I do feel more comfortable on the right hand side of the road heading back to Harwich where I can see the traffic coming towards me.  When I felt it was safe to cross (knowing I would be turning right a little further down) I crossed and was met with, what I felt was, a sarcastic "you are on the wrong side of the road" which did annoy me a little bit, hence my reply.  I do apologise if you thought I was being rude but I felt I was being safe, I am definately not tired of living and totally had my mind on the run.  The Essex Way is advertised a an unmarshalled race so any help and support is greatly appreciated.  I hope I have explained my reasoning for what happened and hope there are no bad feelings.  No, I am not Mensa potential!!

Last edited by Claire Bransby (16-09-2009 18:04:35)

#3 16-09-2009 20:27:05

Robert Teer

Re: Marshalling Feedback

Thanks to Claire for responding to my original comments - that's what a forum's for and good to see it used. My final comments are:

1.  It was clearly signalled on the website that we were marshalling Stage 9 and also reinforced in the verbal instructions to the runners at the start of the stage.
2. It's always very dangerous to run (or walk) on the right round a blind right hand bend with no pavement or grass verge; it isn't possible to see what's coming and that is a fast road with barely room for 2 cars to pass each other.  Try marshalling there - it's scary.
3.  We had taken the trouble to discuss our marshalling arrangements with, and have them approved by, Harwich Police.
4.  After the cones there were chalked arrows all along the left side of the road up to my position.
5. My 'You're on the wrong side of the road' comment was not sarcastic but accurate so I was surprised at the rejoinder. The 'You must be tired of living' was!
6. Claire actually disregarded the marshalls' instructions right in front of the stage race director (me!) and the stage referee (lady who told her to stay left) - in any other event other than the Essex Way Relay this would probably have led to her disqualification.

Don't do it again!

Board footer